A soft and tender vegan coffee cake with cinnamon streusel topping! This delicious and easy to make crumb cake will satisfy your cravings for a “buttery” cake. The recipe is plant-based (dairy-free, egg-free), gluten-free, can be made refined sugar-free, and is perfect for dessert or breakfast.
What is a coffee cake? A coffee cake is a soft and moist cake that is topped with a sweet streusel topping, similar to a German coffee cake (Streuselkuchen). The topping is a crumble, often containing cinnamon, sometimes nuts and occasionally also fruit like apples). The crumb cake is served in the afternoon or morning with coffee (or tea), however, the cake actually doesn’t contain coffee (even though you can add it)
This gluten-free coffee cake only contains simple ingredients, which you maybe already have at home. Below are the ingredients and their substitutes that you will need for the coffee cake.
- Oat flour – Use regular oat flour or gluten-free oat flour if you are a celiac. You can also make your own oat flour from rolled oats in a blender or electric coffee/spice grinder.
- White rice flour – Brown rice might work fine as well. You can most likely also use gluten-free all-purpose flour (or regular flour if you’re not gluten-free) instead of oat flour and rice flour. I haven’t tried these combos though.
- Cornstarch – Arrowroot flour or potato starch might be used instead of cornstarch.
- Erythritol – It doesn’t contain sugar (same as Xylitol). However, you can use regular sugar instead.
- Applesauce – You can probably also use mashed banana instead.
- Coconut oil – If you want to make the vegan coffee cake oil-free, I would suggest increasing the amount of applesauce. The texture will be different though. Oil or vegan butter is also needed for the streusel, however, you could try replacing it with vegan cream cheese or nut butter.
- Plant-based milk – Any dairy-free milk is fine. Some examples are almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk, etc.
- Coconut sugar – You could also use brown sugar for the cinnamon streusel topping.
- Almond flour – To make the recipe nut-free, simply use ground shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Baking powder, baking soda, apple cider vinegar – They will help the cake rise.
- Cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt – Used for flavor.
How to make Vegan Coffe Cake?
You don’t need a food processor, hand mixer or blender to make this oatmeal coffee cake. All you need is two mixing bowls, a whisk, and a baking dish.
First, line a baking dish with parchment paper with an overhang on all sides (for easy removal). My pan measures 6×9 inches (ca. 15×23 cm).
Start with the cinnamon streusel topping. Simply, add all dry ingredients for the streusel to a bowl, stir with a whisk, then add the wet ingredients. Use your fingers to combine everything until the mixture is slightly crumbly. Set aside and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (ca. 180 °C).
Add all dry ingredients for the coffee cake batter into a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk. You could also add the dry ingredients to a food processor and blend for a couple of seconds.
Next, add the wet ingredients and stir with a whisk.
Pour about half of the batter into the lined baking dish. Then add half of the cinnamon streusel. Pour the remaining batter on top of the streusel and finally add the remaining streusel.
Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the crumb cake comes out almost clean (it can be crumbly but shouldn’t be wet). The baking time can be a few minutes less or more depending on your oven and the size of the pan. Let cool completely, then drizzle with icing (optional).
Tips And Variations
- Apple Coffee Cake: Add a small, chopped apple and spread it over the second layer of the batter, then add the final crumb layer (streusel).
- Add more spices: You can add other spices like allspice, a pinch of ground cloves or nutmeg for a deliciously spiced coffee cake.
- Make coffee cake muffins: Simply use a muffin pan instead of a rectangular (or round) baking pan. The cooking time will be reduced by about 10-15 minutes (I recommend making a toothpick test) after 25 minutes.
- Add nuts: You can add chopped walnuts, almonds, cashews or other nuts of choice to the batter.
How To Store
Store the oat coffee cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Should you give these tasty Vegan Coffee Cake a try, please leave a comment and rating below.
IF YOU ARE USING PINTEREST, FEEL FREE TO PIN THE FOLLOWING PHOTO: